Video Techniques Response + Coraline

1. Composing movement - This is so neat. I love when paintings, drawings, and photography has interesting compositions, but it's really evident in these film clips. I've definitely seen part in movies where's I've said "Wow, that's an interesting shot".  I don't think I though about it as often in terms of movement, though. One of my favorite clips in looking at the movement was the one where the river was flowing in one direction and the leaves were blowing the other way. I thought the movement at the beginning and end of cuts was interesting.

2. Editing Space and Time - I've seen Paprika! It's been a while. I should watch it again. I like match cuts they talked about a lot. It's obvious that things like movement and how the story progresses through time have to be thought of with each scene in relation to the next one.

3. Composing a Video Essay - Having more than one thing going on in film or television is something I think most of us usually notice. I don't think I'd thought about it's importance in making sure the viewer doesn't get bored, though. I have seen in a show where they've used the "meanwhile back a the ranch" idea, but took so long to get back to certain timelines that it makes the audience impatient for it to pick up with a certain scene again. I think the ordering of multiple stories is important with this technique.

4. Poetry - This one talked basically about ways of letting the audience come to their own feelings and conclusions themselves. There was a lot of use of details to convey more meaning than what was actually being said in the films. It's probably good to consider where in your video that less might be more.


Not only is Coraline my favorite stop motion piece, it is one of my favorite movies. It's a go-to comfort film for me. So much work went into making it from all the sets, to the countless facial pieces for dialogue, to the clothes the knit on a tiny scale for the characters. I love the story, the process, everything. Henry Selick is one of the great stop motion gods, honestly. This is almost an 8 minute behind the scenes video, but it's really cool how they made it all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXqqd0ZBEMA

Comments

  1. Very cool, thanks for sharing the link! I have not seen Coraline, I will put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at a Time #10

Identity Composite Brainstorming

My Favorite Street Artists