Video Artist Response

Bill Voila - Ascension
I watched the video for before I read the description. Even without any background information I did notice the religious symbolism. I thought using water to represent that idea was pretty neat. The float back up was a little slow, but there were videos by some other artists that were much slower. I watched one of Ryan Trecartin's videos and literally said "How is this as long as it is? I'm never going to get this time back."

Marilyn Minter - I'm Not Much But I'm All I Think About
I found the this video pacifying. The concept was cool, but I really just enjoyed watching the forms swirl and morph and splash.

Nam June Paik - Electronic Superhighway
I feel like this piece would work more efficiently just as an installation. It seems like a really cool work of art, but I don't think the multiple visually stimulating parts of the work lend itself well to the video art form. It captures the flashing of the screens, but I'm sure we lose something by not being present and able to look closely at each state.

I went through a wikipedia list of video artists and Andy Warhol was the only name I really recognized. So I just saved my favorite artist from this list for last. I thought the videos I watched by Candice Breitz were really interesting. I watched most of Her before I watched some of Him. The compositional symmetry and suggestion of an active conversation occurring through the use of an audio collage aspect are all really cool. There's a musical artist I like who takes sound clips from movies and turns them into songs. Her video art reminded me of that. I was also drawn to Her because of the embedded conversation about typical female gender struggles. Good stuff.
Candice Breitz - Her
Candice Breitz - Him

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at a Time #10

Identity Composite Brainstorming

My Favorite Street Artists